Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Post

I've decided to start a blog to update my friends and family on the progress of my dissertation. I feel that many people are scared to ask me how things are going. Understandably, there are times things are not going so well and the mere question sends me into despair. More often, however, I am happy to update you all regularly on my successes and frustrations. The blog should keep you posted so you no longer have to hesitate to ask.
Now that I've written the above, it occurs to me that maybe the question gives friends and family pause because you don't want to hear a long explanation of exactly how things are going. Perhaps you just ask because you feel you have to. Well, if this is the case, you can simply say "I've read the blog" and I will resist the temptation to engage in lengthy monologues that will make your eyes glaze over.
For right now, this blog is just for the world not participating in academia. If I'm feeling brave, I will share it with others, perhaps even my committee!
I expect some of you will consider this blog just a distraction I've created for myself. This is of course true. However, I find that dissertation writing uses only one part of my creative mind and I long for another outlet. In addition, for those of you who have been to graduate school or done any writing at all, you know how solitary the work can be. I love having my afternoons to myself but I also get incredibly lonely and often want to share my inner world with the outer world.
Check the blog as frequently or as infrequently as you would like. For right now, I don't have a plan for updates.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren, thank you for your blog on your dissertation. Its true, I never really quite understand what you are writing it about. In face I never knew Wide Sargasso Sea was a prequel to Jane Eyre. In fact, I thought it was something totally different. I guess I always mixed it up with Sassafrass Cypress and Indigo. now i know. So you're dissertation has already taught me so much. Thank you
You are a great teacher and a great writer

Unknown said...

and friend

Shawne said...

Does the tree grow from the coconut or does the coconut grow from the tree? I guess we'll never know. Thank G_d for you, the academic of this family. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Just saying hi.

Lauren said...

To be clear, the tree grows from the coconut AND the coconut grows from the tree.
Any questions?

Greenjeans said...

I love that you've set up this blog! I hope you'll use it to share sneak peeks into some of your topic, too. Yum!

Unknown said...

You put the lime in the coconut, and drink 'em both up.