Saturday, September 27, 2008

Word of the Day

The word of the day is "Dissercation"

1. noun
2. intransitive verb

Etymology 1: from Latin vacation-, vacatio freedom, exemption
Etymology 2: from Latin dissertāre to set forth at length

Date: Early 21st century
Definitions:
1
: a respite or a time of respite from working, thinking or even mentioning the dissertation in any way. 2: a scheduled period during which dissertation activity is suspended either intentionally or accidentally.

Usage examples:
1: I didn't feel guilty about not getting any work done yesterday; it was my birthday and I decided to take a dissercation. 2: I know I said I would have a chapter by the end of the summer, but I didn't plan on taking so much time dissercating.

You saw it here first. Expect to see it in the next edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.

No comments: