Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Delinqent post

It's been a week since my last post, in part because I have not worked very much. I thought I would continue to get work done but after handing in the pages I went on a work stoppage. I am firm believer that "stewing" is an essential part of the process and I think I needed to do just that.
Now that I have stewed, and received comments from my committee, I expect to get back to work. The best advice I received was to focus more on the primary texts and stop worrying about what other critics have to say. I tend to use other critics as a crutch and I will attempt to follow the advice as best I can. Right now, I am going to massage my 20 pages into a more workable flow, in attempt to make them ready for some fellowships I plan to apply for.
I am also very excited that one particular committee member, who wrote about Jean Rhys in her own dissertation, complimented my unique point of view. Coming up with a new idea is the whole point of the dissertation and I am so pleased that so far I have managed to do that. Yipee!

No comments: