Monday, October 27, 2008

Stein and Woolf

Today I worked on my proposal for one of the dissertation fellowships I am applying for. The irony of it all is that these are called dissertation completion fellowships, yet they are most often awarded to people who are mostly finished with their dissertation and therefore not in need of fellowships. Right now I am working on the paragraphs that sketch out the four chapters. I need to at least pretend I know what I am going to write about. This is hard as I really only have some idea what these chapters will focus on. In fact, it wasn't even until a few weeks I even decided to write about Woolf.
Here is what I have so far:
"The chapters on Stein and Woolf focus on how these two writers explicitly engage photographic form in their work. Stein undertook the photographic form in both her more straightforward The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas and the experimental Tender Buttons; Woolf, however, repudiated the photographic form, particularly in The Waves where she focuses entirely on interiority completely rejecting any kind of physical description."
Yes, I have no idea.
There is something there, I just have to keep digging. Anyone have a shovel I can borrow?

No comments: