Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Revision

I edited my chapter overview substantially. For one thing, Tender Buttons was published in 1914, which is earlier than the time period I plan to write about. For another, I hated what I had and didn't think it made any sense. Here is my new Stein paragraph:
"For the Stein chapter, I discuss the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas as an example of the Greek word ekphrasis, the representation of one art form by another, in this case the representation of a portrait photograph in a textual form. More accessible than her previous work, The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas finally brought Stein the popular success she sought. Yet, Stein’s representation explores how the photograph obscures more than reveals meaning and I argue that the novel likewise obscures more than it reveals. It is written by Stein in the voice of Toklas and, despite its title, is ultimately a biography of Stein, not Toklas. The novel manifests an inherent problem of the photograph, which is locating the authorial voice when both the subject and artist believe they are communicating; the subject offers her self-image, however, the artist believes this image is reliant upon her own interpretation."
Pending confirmation, I am relatively happy with how this came out. I might even stick with it when I write the actual chapter. Some of the language needs to be cleaned up but the idea of ekphrasis, of the novel reflecting a photo portrait, I think is compelling.
Now onto Woolf. I had originally thought I would write about The Waves . Now I am not so certain. It is not considered autobiographical and therefore I am not sure it fits with the works of the other writers I am covering. I plan on doing some research tomorrow and will post another update when, I hope, I have a clearer notion of where this chapter will go.

1 comment:

Scott said...

This reminded me of Philip K. Dick's idea of turning works of classical music into little animals, described here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/books/review/Lethem-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=review

Not the same, I know.